Elsewhere in leisure, activities and the arts:
Songs: ‘Rhapsodic’ trios
Different trios of Arkansas Symphony Orchestra musicians accomplish chamber pieces by J.S. Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Zoltan Kodaly, Paul Trapkus and Stephanie Berg for the fourth live performance of the orchestra’s 2022-23 River Rhapsodies Chamber Music series, 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Good Hall of the Clinton Presidential Middle, 1200 President Clinton Ave., Small Rock.
Geoffrey Robson, violin Julian Pranata, viola da gamba and Daniel Gilbert, harpsichord, will enjoy Bach’s Sonata for Violin and Continuo, BWV 1023. Katherine Williamson, violin Timothy MacDuff, viola and Jacob Wunsch, cello, will enjoy Beethoven’s String Trio in D main, op.9, No. 2. Meredith Maddox Hicks and Charlotte Crosmer, violins, and MacDuff will participate in the Serenade for Two Violins and Viola, op.12, by Kodaly.
Violinists Andrew Irvin, Leanne Working day-Simpson and Algimantas Staskevicius will play Trapkus’ Trio for Three Violins. And Lorraine Duso Kitts, oboe Gail Levinsky, saxophone and Jackie Edwards-Henry, piano, will engage in Berg’s “Justice for All.”
Tickets are $26, $10 for college students and lively obligation army. Contact (501) 666-1761, Extension 1, or visit ArkansasSymphony.org.
Youth level of competition
March 11 is the deadline for young instrumentalists to apply for the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra Guild’s statewide 2022-23 Stella Boyle Smith Rely on Youthful Artist Level of competition for piano, string, woodwind and brass students. Students’ preliminary audition — a concluded application and effectiveness video clips — ought to be gained no later than March 25. Find application and regulations kinds and extra information and facts on how to utilize at arkansassymphony.org/education/younger-artist-level of competition. Finals will be held dwell April 15 at the University of Arkansas at Tiny Rock. Grand prize is $1,000 just about every competent winner in each instrument category will acquire a $250 prize.
THEATER: Argenta period
The Judy Kohn Tenenbaum Argenta Community Theater opens its 2023-24 period with its Performing UP scholar summertime camp creation of “Disney’s Significant School Musical 2 Jr.,” June 28-30 on its Main Stage, 405 Primary St., North Minor Rock. The music is adapted, arranged and generated by Bryan Louiselle ebook is by David Simpatico, based mostly on the Disney Channel’s Tv set movie.
The rest of the theater’s Primary Stage agenda:
- ◼️ July 26-Aug. 5: “Rent,” music, lyrics and book by Jonathan Larson, loosely centered on Giacomo Puccini’s opera “La Boheme.”
- ◼️ Aug. 30-Sept. 9: “Bring It On: The Musical,” tunes by Tom Kitt and Lin-Manuel Miranda, lyrics by Amanda Environmentally friendly and Miranda, and book by Jeff Whitty, primarily based on the movie.
- ◼️ Oct. 18-22: “A single Ninth” by Spirit Trickey Tawfiq, the story of the Very little Rock 9 by way of the eyes of Tawfiq’s mother, Minnijean Brown Trickey.
- ◼️ Dec. 6-16: “Wonder on 34th Street,” adapted by Mountain Community Theater from the novel by Valentine Davies, centered upon the 1947 movie of the identical identify.
- ◼️ Feb. 21-March 2, 2024: “Godspell,” new music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, e book by John Michael Tebelak, dependent on the Gospel according to St. Matthew.
Onstage at the theater’s secondary house, ACT II: Sharon Heflin Doing Arts Educational Centre, 315 Most important:
- ◼️ Sept. 13-23: “Doubt” by John Patrick Shanley, portion of the Acansa Arts Pageant of the South.
- ◼️ Could 8-18, 2024: “The Lion in Winter season” by James Goldman. (The 1st week of shows will be a theater with next-7 days theater-fashion seating).
Arkansas Public Theatre is abbreviating its Time 38 at the Victory Theatre, 116 S. Second St., Rogers, because the theater will shut down for a handful of months for reworking to maximize seating and facilities as a multi-use facility. It will consist of a few musicals — dates could change centered on the pace of reworking:
- ◼️ Feb. 16-18, 22-25, 2024: “Into the Woods,” songs and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, ebook by James Lapine.
- ◼️ April 12-14, 18-21, 2024: “Lease,” audio, lyrics and reserve by Jonathan Larson.
- ◼️ June 21-23, 27-30, 2024: “Kinky Boots,” tunes and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper, e-book by Harvey Fierstein.
Ticket facts is out there by contacting (479) 631-8988 or at arkansaspublictheatre.org.
Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette author-editor Becca Martin-Brown contributed to this roundup.